Tips to Make Your Basement Ready for Remodelling
30 June 2016
If you are lucky enough to have an existing basement, remodelling it to free up space or put it to another use can be a useful exercise. This use could be as simple as making the basement area a library or a living area space or a play room for kids. Basement renovation requires the right team, along with the right funding and a renovation plan. In case of any repair work that the basement needs, make sure to do all that ahead of the renovation work. Repairs, cracks and leakages are issues that need to be addressed irrespective of whether you renovate the basement or not.
Of course,it is best to have put the correct measures in place during the basement construction stage because such problems arising at a later stage can complicate matters. However, if you wish to renovate your basement here are some important considerations:
• Keep the Area Dry – Condensation and humidity issues, moisture leakage problems and water marks signal the fact that the basement needs to be kept dry. Moisture and water leakage are the two big concerns when it comes to basement renovation. It is not possible to undergo any form of renovation if your basement is not completely dry.
• Remove Mildew – Mildew is a sign of excess moisture with musty odours and the paints peeling off from the walls. When you see these patches in the basement you know that it is time for you to remove the mildew. In fact, you must get rid of them immediately so that the basement renovation can continue without any hindrance.
• Inspect Ceilings – Before the renovation begins make sure to look for signs of discolouration because that signals at the moisture issues. Address the structural concerns as well because that plays an important role during remodelling. One of the most common structural concerns is sagging and that needs to be fixed before you change the existing basement plans.
• Check the Wooden Structures – Basement areas mostly have wooden structures and such wooden installations always add charm to your home. In spite of the visual appeal that it triggers, it is important to check the wooden structures when you are planning to renovate. Wooden structures used in the basement show signs that they are wearing off. So, care needs to be taken that these structures are altered.
• Scrutinize the Current State of the Staircase – The home usually leads to the basement and the staircase usually takes you there. Understanding the important role that a staircase has for a basement, make sure that they are in good state. If not, then before you begin renovation, make sure to improve the condition of the stairs.
Repair work is often found out during renovation and it is best to fix these issues while you continue to alter your basement. Basement renovation is time-consumingso when you undergo this process be patient throughout the course and ensure you have budgeted correctly.